xyl@gmx.de

O

Old_Guest

Falls stört bitte verschieben + Entschuldigung nero24 (oder nero25 ?) !

http://users.interact.net.au/~pwcl/q22001/wdviaw2k.htm

----------
The Problem
If you meet the criteria above, There is a chance that your hard drive is operating in PIO mode only.  What's more, there is a known bug in the Microsoft IDE/ATAPI drivers that control access to your hard disk(s), that will report the access mode as PIO even though the drivers are actually using UDMA mode.  What makes this issue more confusing is that in the case of Western Digital hard drives, (or at least the versions that I have tested), when the driver indicates PIO mode, the driver really is in PIO mode. Frankly, this is a very poor situation to be in, as there is no easy way for the end user (you) to verify what mode the drivers are operating in.  If you apply the patch, you are told that the drivers will tell you PIO mode, but operate in UDMA mode.  In the case of Western Digital hard drives, that may not be the case. So how can you check?  To find out what mode your drive is operating in, you will need a reliable benchmark.  In my testing, I was using Business and Content Creation Winstone 2001, and Winbench 99 from Ziff Davis.  This is how I came across the bug.  Familiarity with the numbers generated by these benchmark programs told me something was fishy when I tried to benchmark the Western Digital drives.
---------------

Hi

habe selbst 2 WD Platten
eine WD450AA (45GB 2MB Cache 5400)
WD30AA (30GB 2MB 7200)
OS WIN2k
Verwende: 4.29v
Register 70 auf C0 + WIN2k SP1 + UDMA100 Patch  + Large Patch usw...

TB 1000

beide scheinen im richtigen DMA-Mode zu laufen (die eine in dem PIO-DMA mode ..also falsche
anzeige des UDMA100 Mode)

ABER ! Die Prozessolast steigt manchmal auf über 40% ! (Kopieren von 500 MB von WD300 auf WD450 in ca 15 - 17 sec). Auch die Perfomance bei Sandra2k zeig deutliche Abschnitte zu meinem früheren ALI-System (OS Win2k Win2ktreiber ..WD450AA ca. 24000 jetzt 15000 (sandra ref-wert 17k) ! wd300bb ca 21500 (sandra ref-wert 24k !)

Die Prozessorlast nimmt auch extrem zu, wenn ich einfach kurzfristig eine Datei verschiebe.

Hat jemand ähnliche Erfahrungen ?

*sethkill* bist ja nich der einzige, der das nich soganz gebacken kriegt...

Falls stört bitte verschieben + Entschuldigung nero24 (oder nero25 ?) !

http://users.interact.net.au/~pwcl/q22001/wdviaw2k.htm

----------
The Problem
If you meet the criteria above, There is a chance that your hard drive is operating in PIO mode only.  What's more, there is a known bug in the Microsoft IDE/ATAPI drivers that control access to your hard disk(s), that will report the access mode as PIO even though the drivers are actually using UDMA mode.  What makes this issue more confusing is that in the case of Western Digital hard drives, (or at least the versions that I have tested), when the driver indicates PIO mode, the driver really is in PIO mode. Frankly, this is a very poor situation to be in, as there is no easy way for the end user (you) to verify what mode the drivers are operating in.  If you apply the patch, you are told that the drivers will tell you PIO mode, but operate in UDMA mode.  In the case of Western Digital hard drives, that may not be the case. So how can you check?  To find out what mode your drive is operating in, you will need a reliable benchmark.  In my testing, I was using Business and Content Creation Winstone 2001, and Winbench 99 from Ziff Davis.  This is how I came across the bug.  Familiarity with the numbers generated by these benchmark programs told me something was fishy when I tried to benchmark the Western Digital drives.
---------------

Hi

habe selbst 2 WD Platten
eine WD450AA (45GB 2MB Cache 5400)
WD30AA (30GB 2MB 7200)
OS WIN2k
Verwende: 4.29v
Register 70 auf C0 + WIN2k SP1 + UDMA100 Patch  + Large Patch usw...

TB 1000

beide scheinen im richtigen DMA-Mode zu laufen (die eine in dem PIO-DMA mode ..also falsche
anzeige des UDMA100 Mode)

ABER ! Die Prozessolast steigt manchmal auf über 40% ! (Kopieren von 500 MB von WD300 auf WD450 in ca 15 - 17 sec). Auch die Perfomance bei Sandra2k zeig deutliche Abschnitte zu meinem früheren ALI-System (OS Win2k Win2ktreiber ..WD450AA ca. 24000 jetzt 15000 (sandra ref-wert 17k) ! wd300bb ca 21500 (sandra ref-wert 24k !)

Die Prozessorlast nimmt auch extrem zu, wenn ich einfach kurzfristig eine Datei verschiebe.

Hat jemand ähnliche Erfahrungen ?

*sethkill* bist ja nich der einzige, der das nich soganz gebacken kriegt...

Zurück
Oben Unten