Ramsey@home

Coolsys

Vice Admiral Special
Renomée
Standort
Schweiz
  • QMC Race
  • Spinhenge ESL
Was geht denn bitte bei Ramsey@home ab? Ein Q6600 haut alle 1000sek. eine WU raus und bekommt dafür 120Cr granted, obwohl nur nicht ganz 5 claimed werden?

Werden die Credits irgendwann auch mal abgezogen?
Was man RAC-mäßig machen kann ist meiner Meinung nach unglaublich, man sieht dass Seti.USA über 50% ihrer Ressourcen reinhauen und eine unglaubliche Output-Steigerung haben.

abgezogen werden die wohl nicht. unabhängig dass ramsey sehr viel credits eh schon hergibt hat crunch3er auch noch eine optimierte applikation die nochmals viiiiiel schneller und damit viiiiel mehr WU in der selben zeit rechnet. die credits werden wohl vom projekt früher oder später angepasst, bis dahin heisst es halt: credits scheffeln solange es geht.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Schade - es ist nicht im P3D PDM und somit auch nicht im internen Race, sonst würd ichs tun.

@Mhalekith, das hat nix mit der optimierten App zu tun.

Was geht denn bitte bei Ramsey@home ab? Ein Q6600 haut alle 1000sek. eine WU raus und bekommt dafür 120Cr granted, obwohl nur nicht ganz 5 claimed werden?

Das liegt am fehlerhaften Validator! Dieser granted jetzt egal ob mit 114 oder 116 App immer 120 Credits.

Der Unterschied zwischen den beiden Apps ist, das man mit der 114er (25.000 Iterationen, StandardApp ohne Optimierungen) gute 1000 Sekunden braucht und dafür ursprünglich 25 Credits bekomen hat. Die 116er (200.000 Iterationen, StandardApp ohne Optimierungen) dagegen benötigt gute 8000 Sekunden pro WU bei 120 Credits.

Der Betreiber ist bereits am Fixen, daher ist der Validator auch bis heute Abend offline.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Ramsey ist tot

Hi all,

First of all let me apologize for the server lately - as they always do, a million things in my life all came to a point at once and as you know, this project, although it is my baby, has a lower priority than school and family, and I don't think any of you expected otherwise, so thank you for being so patient and sorry again for the validator problems.

Now, I've been second guessing the approach of this project for some time now but I've just recently decided that this project, in comparison to other projects, is a waste of time and computing power. I owe it to each and every one of you to make the algorithm this project uses the best it can possibly be. I have not done this. The algorithm currently under use is brutish and fairly stupid. It relies on randomness, which is never a good thing to do. So I've decided to stop the project for now and instead of concentrating on constantly patching up a crappy algorithm, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and implement a much smarter algorithm which a much better chance of actually finding a new lower bound. This will require much more coding on my part, and hopefully testing on some of your parts (PM me if you are interested). I can't put a deadline on how long this will take me to get done, but I'm graduating in December and after that I'll have quite a bit more free time on my hands, so I'd suggest checking back in around then.

Lastly and most drastically, I've decided to convert this project into a non-credit granting project. Yes, I know that 99% of the volunteers just left :). I'm doing this for two reasons; I don't have the time or the coding skill to deal with the myriad of difficulties the credit system introduces, and I believe that boinc should be about making scientific discoveries and that the credit system gets in the way of this for a lot of boincers.

On the first point, I'd have to say that after the initial setup of this project I ended up spending 90% of my time trying to make this project fair in terms of credits granted. The other 10% was spent trying to make the algorithm better. This seems like it should be switched, no? I'm really trying not to be negative here but I think I speak for most when I say that if you are consciously cheating a project to receive more boinc credits, then you suck, and Jethro Tull will probably stab you with his flute in the afterlife.

On the second point, and I've spoken to many of you concerning this, BOINC should be about the science, should it not? Yes competition is awesome, and leads to more work done (probably), but the first and foremost concern should, IMHO, be about the science. All of you should feel great about contributing to Folding@Home - you are helping cure diseases! - or the prime-finding projects, or seti, or whatever! You are making a positive impact on our society. You shouldn't need some monetarily meaningless number to tell you that you are doing so.

So, in summary, I just hope I didn't piss anyone off or shatter anyone's worldview, because that's not what I was trying to do. These are my opinions and you may feel that I'm wrong and that's fine - that's why I'm putting this on the forums.

Also I wanted to thank you guys for crunching for me, and for encouraging me constantly - It really did make me feel good.

Now, if any of you are left, and are interested helping me optimize my new app (whenever it is done) please PM me with your email and I'll send you the source asap.

Oh yes - I'll stop sending wus and grant all the wus sitting in queue 120 credits... unless anyone has a better idea?

Thanks again guys,
lemme know if I forgot anything,

Nick

da können sich die Jungs von MilkayWay@home mal ne Scheibe abschneiden ;)

Ramsey@home stoppt die Ausgabe jeglicher work units und geht so lange offline, bis ein besserer Algorithmus programmiert wurde. Der bisher?*ge sei nur "Verschwendung von Zeit und Rechenzeit". Sobald ein besserer Algorithmus programmiert sei wird das Projekt wiederkommen, dann jedoch auch als Projekt ohne jegliches Creditsystem. Der Projektbetreiber verwendete 90% seiner Zeit auf das Creditsystem und nur 10% auf den Algorithmus. Ersteres soll dann dem Projekt nicht mehr im Wege stehen
http://www.rechenkraft.net/wiki/index.php?title=Aktuelle_Ereignisse

Mal schauen ob Crunch3r dann noch für das Projekt rechnet. ;)

Zurück
Oben Unten