• In dieser Sektion des Forums werden Pressemitteilungen der Hersteller 1:1 veröffentlicht. Planet 3DNow! übernimmt weder für die Richtigkeit der Angaben noch für die Art der Formulierung jedwede Verantwortung. Oft sind Pressemitteilungen mit typischen Marketing-Floskeln wie "einer der bedeutendsten Herstellern von XY" versetzt. Diese Aussagen sind subjektiv und geben nicht notwendigerweise die Meinung der auf Planet 3DNow! schreibenden Autoren wieder.

Advanced Micro Devices Management Discusses Q3 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript

Pressemitteilung

Hinweis: Dieser Inhalt ist eine Pressemitteilung des Herstellers. Planet 3DNow! prüft weder die Richtigkeit der Angaben noch die Art der Formulierung. Pressemitteilungen können subjektiv sein und geben nicht notwendigerweise die Meinung der auf Planet 3DNow! schreibenden Autoren wieder.
Patrick Wang - Evercore Partners Inc., Research Division
Two quick ones and then a longer one. The first to Rory, just a quick clarification. Can you help us understand which buckets are being defocused in your actions right now?

Rory P. Read - Chief Executive Officer, President and Director
The key, Patrick, from a standpoint is what we're trying to do with the restructuring efforts is to reduce and simplify our development cycles and development processes across our portfolio as well as simplify our global structure. I mean, I think that's clear in terms of the focus we have in terms of reusable IP, how we're going to use the system, the heterogeneous systems architecture. All of those strategies that we talked about are reducing our complexity and shortening the development cycles, and we have to push for more efficiency on that. That's the basis of what we're trying to accomplish.

Okay. So there aren't any particular product lines or anything that's ongoing that's getting killed or canceled?

Rory P. Read - Chief Executive Officer, President and Director
No, we're not changing anything on that activity at this point.

Okay. And then just a second quick one. Devinder, just some clarification on the wafer supply agreement. Can you disclose kind of -- or walk us through what's left of your commitments for the fourth quarter? I think you guys had disclosed $700 million or so for the second half of the year.

Devinder Kumar
The way I planned that is for 2012, we had a take or pay agreement for a certain number of wafers. And what we disclosed is the total cost of that will be $1.5 billion. We had paid approximately $1 billion of that. So $0.5 billion remain. But the question is the time period at which we take those wafers, which is the basis of the discussions we continue to have with our partners. So I think you have to look at it in terms of the remaining 2012 take or pay, and there's $0.5 million -- $0.5 billion left, and what time frame is the -- are the wafers going to be taken and what time frame the cash is going to go out, if that's what you're asking. Then the second thing we are discussing, as we typically do on a yearly basis, is go ahead and discuss the 2013 WSA. And both of them taken together is what we plan to get to get to a conclusion to with our partners at GLOBALFOUNDRIES.

Okay, got it. And then just last question, I guess, Rory and Lisa. Can you talk about the competition in this newfound embedded space? And maybe perhaps what you feel your key advantages with the System-On-chip are?

Lisa T. Su - Senior Vice President and General Manager of Global Business Unit
Yes, maybe let me take that. I think the key differentiation we have is really in the high-performance design methodology, the microprocessor technology as well as the graphics IP that we have. And we're really going after high-volume opportunities that can really use this IP in adjacent markets. So I think it's very unique capability that doesn't exist in many other places, and we really need to continue to build that model out over the next few years.

Okay. Can you also quickly just mention a couple of the key competitors that are currently in that space today?

I think you're familiar with many of our competition. I think our ability to be flexible and really put the semi-custom approach in place is something that's unique to our capability.

Steven Eliscu - UBS Investment Bank, Research Division
I have a couple questions for Lisa. First question, I'm trying to understand this reusable IP strategy. When I think about what that means from a P&L point of view, I just think of it as a shift of OpEx into COGS because I just -- if you're going to cut staff, you're going to have compromises in terms of the IP blocks you can develop. And as a result, you're going to have some give-ups in die size, especially as you try to recover for some of the lost performance for those compromises that you're making. Can you help me understand if I'm thinking about that correctly or if I'm missing something?

Yes, let me describe it this way. I think what we mean by reusable IPs is really getting to a much more System-On-Chip infrastructure so that we're able to spin products faster as well as customize them for their various markets. So I wouldn't see it as a shift from R&D to COGS, but more as building a foundation so that we can move quickly into new markets as they developed. And that's a very key thing for us. And we still will invest very heavily in our differentiating IP, such as the graphics IP that we talked about as well as our microprocessor IP. So that part doesn't change.

And as a second question here, just thinking more philosophically about your APU strategy. And you have differentiating graphics. Yet, when we look at the third-party market research data, you're not getting paid for it, at least when we look at what was done with Llano. I'm trying to understand if there's something we're missing in terms of maybe you are starting to get some of that uplift on Trinity and you'll get more with Kaveri. Or is there perhaps a basis for rethinking your strategy and focusing a set of higher-performance GPUs on smaller die sizes that could get your gross margin back to the mid to upper 40s where it's been your goal?

Yes, I think the question around the APUs is a good one. Now we are very clear that the APU strategy is the right strategy for us. Now in terms of ensuring that we get the value for it, it's not just a piece of silicon, but it's also what we can do in the solutions environment. So we have been doing a lot of work to ensure that the applications can take advantage of all of the compute that we have on the silicon. And you can see that with some of the moves that we've made with the Heterogeneous Systems Architecture, creating industry consortium around the heterogeneous compute. And we've had a number of new members. We talked about QUALCOMM and Samsung joining as well as ARM and Imagination. So I think it's evolution over time. But it's clear that the APU strategy is the right strategy, and we need to get more of the applications taking advantage of the APUs over time.

When do you -- just as a final follow-up, when do you think that will show up in the average selling price data?

We continue to work on sort of the APU evolution over time.

Zurück
Oben Unten