Riesel Sieve down?

Die fertigen (Status: hochgeladen meldebereit) WU's lassen sich nicht auf meinem PC abbrechen und löschen.
Wenn ich eine WU markiere, abbreche und im Fenster mit OK bestätige bleibt die WU da!

Einer ne Idee?

Die fertigen (Status: hochgeladen meldebereit) WU's lassen sich nicht auf meinem PC abbrechen und löschen.
Wenn ich eine WU markiere, abbreche und im Fenster mit OK bestätige bleibt die WU da!

Einer ne Idee?

Da hilft nur Reset, eine WU abbrechen geht nur wenn der Projektserver onlineist , da diese gegenquitiert werden muss.

Ohne euch ärgern zu wollen, wie viele Credits gehen dadurch verloren?

Für mich mit ein Grund das Projekt nie mehr zu rechnen...

TAL9000

News von Riesel Sieve:
This is Lee. I will restore most of our severs at Riesel Sieve in the near future. 'Near Future' doesn't mean now...tomorrow...or two days from now. It may mean this weekend if I have the energy, time, and equipment/supplies to bring us back online. I regret the sudden suspension of our project with no notice. It was caused by forces outside my control and our project remained down until certain issues were taken care of. The last few weeks has only been laziness on my part and Bryan shouldn't be blamed for any of it. I look forward to restoring this project to its once former glory and I appreciate all the support and help each of you have given Riesel Sieve over the years. I apologize for the continued downtime since there is no valid reason beyond time and simple laziness for non-restoration from this point forward. I ask for patience but don't expect any...I would pretty jumpy too if I were in your place.

Look for servers to be up in the 'Near Future'

Lee Stephens
Riesel Sieve

na vieleicht wird das bei risel nochwas mit den 200k kurf ja gerade mal bei 72k rum das kann doch nicht sein das mein stamprojekt solange down ist*buck*.

was war den eigentlich los warum es seit über 2 monaten nicht mehr in betrieb war ps ich bin ein schlechter englisch versteher.

Inzwischen hab ich das Thema aufgegeben und es klingt auch nicht sonderlich professionell was dort abgeht :(
Now there's a point to posting. I intentionally haven't bothered to come to the forum here because I (a) had no info and (b) was quite tired of the constant bitching/demanding/pleading/questioning. I had NO info, just the same dangling hopes that were pushed along by Lee.

Just yesterday, DNS control was handed over to Sean (punchcard) by Lee. Also, all data is supposed to be uploaded by Lee to Sean this weekend. Sean is an old friend of Lee's, and I'm not sure why suddenly Lee is passing along things. But, now that we've seen SOMETHING out of Lee, there's at least a point to making plans.

I do appreciate the offers of assistance - without data, though, there was no real point. Other questions have to be answered as well - especially what shape will RS have moving forward. I know that, for the time being, BOINC is suspended indefinitely. The main problem is the hardware & bandwidth requirements. Yes, the sieveing portion could easily be done by Rytis & PrimeGrid. However, stats would be a big issue. Do things get credited/merged? Do they get archived & then the sub-project gets new credit under PG? What about when LLR gets back online? LLRNet has been running along quietly in the background, with a few users accessing it, out of my house. LLRNet is very lightweight, and there is a programming effort underway to create a new version of the LLRNet client. That makes it very easy to run on any hardware, with any bandwidth.

To be honest, I have thought about simply walking away completely. I've always been the humble 'code monkey' / 'PR guy' at the face of the project, but with very little real control. Having the time to myself on evenings/weekends to pursue business interests (read: $$) has been refreshing & useful. I do not have any plan to run RS on my own as we move forward; if anything, bits & pieces will be handed off to those who'd like to head up an effort. Who knows, really, as I still don't have any data in-hand to dole out.

Sean has already said he can host the forum & web code for the project, once he has it. The DNS is set up (you'll notice that the site is actually responsive now). We just need the data from Lee to bring the forum back to what it was and the website back to something useful. This will also have all the data on k/n status for LLR and sieve. With an actual site up & running, it will be possible to create a detailed action plan. That said, I don't have the resources (mainly time) to create a full action plan. Anyone who would like to help with a certain area can feel free to mention it.

The main categories of items are:

-Website / Forums (Sean will host)
-LLRNet (server running currently on my computer)
-Sieve (non-BOINC, reservations will be up once the website is up)
-BOINC (suspended pending hardware issues & discussion of what to do with credit)

Yes, it's been a great 5 years - I really have been saddened by the downtime of RieselSieve. That said, taking a break from something that I've put 5 years of time into (without ANYTHING in return whatsoever) has been refreshing & given me a different perspective. I wish Lee would have turned over the data as quickly as originally thought (or that we had disaster backup copies from the start), but whatever. What's done is done - we've always been a small operation trying to make a big mark - sorry that we didn't have the resources or ability to be a big operation (making a small mark?).

Say what you want about me, RS, Lee, whatever - it doesn't really do much in terms of getting things back online. Have we lost users? I'm sure we have, and I'm sad to see people go, but I understand. At the same time, when things were online, I tried to make sure we had equivalent or better responses than those 'big time' projects that have staffs, etc. It all balances out in the end. Those who want to join in our quest will; those that were around simply for easy credits have moved on to the next big thing in the BOINC world. In many ways, BOINC was a blessing and a bane; it brought on much more power for computing, but many, many more issues. At least in the short-term, there is no BOINC. BOINC ran on four different boxes and consumed more than 10GB/mo external traffic on its own. None of us in #rieselsieve has that kind of power sitting around, and so we need to evaluate our needs vs. our resources.

Sure, I didn't say much in this post, I guess, since I rambled a lot. But I have been around, watching from a distance, waiting for something real to happen. Since something has (DNS control finally handed over), there's actually a POINT to joining the discussion. People were getting too forceful previously regarding their want for information (which I made clear of), so I did the best I could think of - duck & cover. Thank you again to all those of you here for your care & concern about the conjecture, the project, and those involved. It really does highlight how great the DC community (especially the mathematics projects) really is.
Ich hab auch noch ungefähr 2 Wochen fertige Quad-Core RS WUs hier. Schade um die Zeit und um den verbrauchten Strom :P Aber wenn sie die fertigen Ergebnisse nicht haben wollen, werd ich sie löschen *noahnung*

Was soll ich erst sagen, habe fertige WUs in Wert von 50.000 credits "verpuffen" lassen. Naja was solls, dann können wir den CI in Sachen RS aufräumen *buck*

Jetzt ist nicht mal mehr das Forum erreichbar, da gab es in den letzten Wochen/Monaten zumindest ab und zu nochmal ein Posting.
Denke das war es dann endgültig. :w_traurig:

Zurück
Oben Unten