A10-7870K "last review of AMD until Zen"

FlanK3r

Cadet
Renomée
Hi guys. We had nice years of Phenoms II, after little disappointment from Bulldozer FX-8150/8120. These CPus were not so bad, but people waited more. Multithread was solid, single worse. But much bigger issue we thought this will be real 8 core and 8 core performance. After some time we understand this is against 4c/8t Intel CPUs...Vishera was nice improvement over first Bulldozer. Yeah, OC awesome, performance clock to clock much better, better in games also. It was 2012 year. After 3 years are these CPUs still rock solid, but outdated also. Some reborn or interesting for someone could be high clockend FX-9590/9370 and last one steppings with FX-8320E, 8370E, 8370. E version as 95W TDP CPUs. Nice. But now we are waiting for new Zen...
APU world is different story. All APUs from hardware point and performance view were good. Sometimes price cost was not ideal, but its not about it today...Year and half before we can seen Kaveri CPU in desktop. 3rd Bulldozer family with new socket FM2+. Now, in last month, coming light refresh Kaveri in A10-7870K. With some tets the higher IPC per core from Bulldozers and AMD CPUs ever.

CPU is new stepping of old one A1 revision in 7850K etc. Interesting is also, under the heatspreader is not calssic TIM, but this metal plate.

The CPU-Z show some information about chip. The classic frequency is 3900 MHz, but maximal turbo is up to 4200 MHz for CPU cores. The iGPU running at quite high 866 MHz at default settings. Interesting could be, the VID of CPU in load is high. ussually around 1.475-1.488V! iGPU around 1.22x V.

Temperatures in idle and in load (stress test AMD stability overdrive). The metal between CPU and IHS is very good for temps. CPU with much higher voltage than 7850K is luke warm.

CPU BOX is nice and bigger than another APU CPUs.

New is also CPU cooler BOX. The similar is in the AMD FX! So copper heatpipes, and relatively quiet Cooler Master fan.

Lets go for some benchamrks at stock:

Superpi 4M (there is older CPUZ before after I updated it)

GPUPI CPU100M nad GPU 1B

AIDA bandwith memory and cache (2133 AMP profile memory)

y-cruncher with AVX suppoer and some others instructions, results for 500M test

wprime

x264FHD

x265

Fritzchess

Cinebench R10 single thread, R11.5, R15

3D Marks and few older Games (DX10+DX11 also)

UT3

Far Cry II

AVP

Sniper Elite 2

Undervolting and overlcocking
I think, the VID for CPU is very high, remmeber the 7850K had around 1.3V as VID, so why for next 100-200 MHz increase voltage so high? Interesting, the powerconsumption with this high voltage is not much higher than 7850K, only around +10W. But I was interesting for quick undervolting. Ater I saved around 25W of power consumption down...See results bellow.

And now overclocking. Also I was looking forward for overlcok the new chip. Ussually your Kaveri 7850K or 7700K will be able to get around 4400 MHz at CPU and around 950-1000 at iGPU in average. With solid aircooling of course. And what about new 7870K? Wow, it was fun! The chip is very good for OC. +300 MHz better!

With stock voltage I got 4600 MHz stable

With max voltage 1.53V I stabilized afterall CPU at excelent 4746 MHz!

Some test after OC= 4746 MHz CPU and 1050 MHz iGPU

The A10-7870K surprised me. I thought, this will be only new higher clocked and "boring" Kaveri, but the overclocking, undervolting and overall better voltage and temps behaviors are nice bonus for me. So if you are enthusiast of AMD and you are looking for FM2+ CPUs/APU I can recommend you this A10-7870K

@FlanK3r
So the ratio of clock and voltage is generally better than Kaveri's? Or are there clocks where Kaveri still needs less voltage to operate stable?
Why does CPU-Z show 200 MHz as the regular/stock Northbridge clock?
How does Northbridge overclocking alone raise Godavari's performance?

At Friday I will to do update with APUNB scaling. Overall is light better than with 7850K also.

The different are temps, so "godavari" scaling better because there are much lower temps in higher voltage. Undervolt to stock clocks seems very similar s 7850K, maybe really slightly better (-0.025V or 0.0275V)

Ok, today update with APUNB scaling. Usually higher APUNB is better. The sweetpoints seems between 2000-2200 MHz. More is not possible to get without very high voltage at APUNB. I tested only Superpi 16M, Fritzchess test and 3DMark 11 (focused at overall score and physic score) In all results I set CPU to 4 GHz and memory at 2400 MHz XMP profile, iGPU 867 MHz core.

basic is APUNB 1800 MHz

OC 2100 MHz APUNB

OC 2000 MHz APUNB

OC 2200 MHZ APUNB

If someone want only the chart

@ FlanK3r :

Thank you for this Review ;)

The Oc of the NB doesn't bring more Performance as shown within the Benchmarks ?
Has the GPU a performance gain after raising up the NB Clock frequency ?

Zurück
Oben Unten