• RCN Russia
  • Spinhenge ESL
  • Docking@Home
  • BOINC Pentathlon 2019
  • SETI@Home Intel-Race II
  • THOR Challenge 2020
  • BOINC Pentathlon 2021
  • BOINC Pentathlon 2023
In einem <a href="http://news.com.com/Tackling+Intel+Mission+impossible/2008-1041_3-5623382.html" target="b">Interview</a> hat cnet, den kürzlich in AMDs Aufsichtsrat berufenen (wir <a href="http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=204827">berichteten</a>) Morton Topfer über seine Ansichten bezüglich AMD befragt.<ul><i>"Q: You're close with Michael Dell and Dell CEO Kevin Rollins. People believe you can help AMD win Dell as a customer. Can you?

Topfer: I am a very close friend of Michael and Kevin. I recruited Kevin so I could retire (from Dell). I let Michael and Kevin know that I was considering (going to AMD) before I joined the board, and they wished me good luck. We'll see where it goes.

AMD has made a lot of progress. The issue is that Dell is still Intel's only 100 percent-Intel customer. Intel has a lot of market power to keep it attractive to them to stay that way. I think that ultimately, Dell tends to go with leadership technology and very cost-effective solutions, and AMD has got to be able to do that for them to consider it.

Q:What are your thoughts about AMD and its position right now?

Topfer: It's changed direction, I think, under Hector's leadership. When Jerry Sanders ran the company, he tended to drive the strategy toward fighting Intel in the consumer space and the desktop space. Hector has--through the (AMD64) 64-bit technology--driven the company more toward the technology leadership position, which I think they've achieved. It doesn't mean they're not competitive in all those other spaces, but it's not the sole driving force of the company.

I think that today, they do have a much stronger position on which to grow the company and continue to penetrate the market."</i></ul>

das sehe ich genauso, wie er!

Sicher wird er schon in die Richtung mit seinem "Kumpel" bei Dell sprechen, aber genauso sicher haben die mit Intel Verträge, die Intel only bei Dell sicherstellen.
Intel hat ja alle Macht, Druck auszuüben, sobald AMD angeboten wird, die Konditionen für Dell zu verschlechtern.

So wird sich Dell das doppelt überlegen.

Wenn sich AMD aber so weiterentwickelt, wie bisher, eine gestärkte Position auf dem Markt hat, sowie die Technologische Führerschaft übernommen hat (und im 64 bit Markt kommt man heute nichtmehr an AMD vorbei) dann gibts evtl. mal einen riesen Deal, und Dell bietet auf einmal nurnoch AMD an, und Intel fliegt raus.

Aber das wird sicher noch ein paar Jährchen dauern.

gruss
skell

In dem Interview bestätigt sich auch eine Vermutung, die wir hier auch schon diskutiert haben:
Is it only a matter of time before Dell includes AMD in its offerings?
Topfer: They know AMD very, very well. AMD has got a big fab (its Fab 36 chip factory in Dresden, Germany) to bring up to speed. Dell's buying requirement for microprocessors is in the 25 million to 30 million level--or whatever that number is. That takes a lot of capacity. Dell is a very low inventory-oriented company. AMD, if they are ever going to be a supplier, has got to meet all of its needs without compromising Dell's ability to serve the market.

If it were to go into the notebook or desktop space, it would take a lot of (AMD) capacity.
Ergo: AMD hat noch nicht genügend Kapazität, um den Anforderungen von Dell zu genügen.

Original geschrieben von mtb][sledgehammer
In dem Interview bestätigt sich auch eine Vermutung, die wir hier auch schon diskutiert haben: Ergo: AMD hat noch nicht genügend Kapazität, um den Anforderungen von Dell zu genügen.

2006 = neue fab = mehr kapazitäten = dell

Zurück
Oben Unten